plural kendang also kendangs
Definition of kendang
: any of various double-headed drums of Indonesia and Malaysia The kendang is always the leading instrument in gamelan orchestras, regulating tempos and cueing transitions.— Jan Laurens Hartong, Musical Terms Worldwide, 2006
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game