keep/hold in checkidiom
Definition of keep/hold in check
: to keep (something) under control He's trying to hold his emotions in check. The government has lowered interest rates in an attempt to keep inflation in check.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game