Definition of karbovanets
: the basic monetary unit of Ukraine during its brief period of independence beginning in 1917 readopted as a transitional monetary unit from 1991 until introduction of the hryvnia in 1996 also : a currency note representing one karbovanets
Note: Some sources use karbovantsi as the plural for the denomination three and karbovantsiv for denominations five or more; other sources use karbovantsi or less commonly karbovantsiv as a general plural.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game