Definition of kablooey
: the sound of an explosion heard a loud kablooey —often used interjectionally Then, kablooie! A power outage shut down three big-box stores …— Mitchell LandsbergSo what determines confidence? The actual level of debt has some influence — but it's not as if there's a red line, where you cross 90 or 100 percent of GDP and kablooie.— Paul Krugman also : an explosion or series of explosions especially when used for effect (as in a movie) … conveying a story of corporate greed and institutional carelessness while hitting the viewer with all the taut, big-budget kablooey they can handle. — Brad Wheeler This wasn't Gaga's party. Even through all the airborne pomp and pyrotechnic kablooey, she ultimately seemed like a guest — and one who didn't want to overstay her welcome. — Chris Richards
go kablooey or less commonly go kablooie or go kerblooey
1 : to burst violently : explode What plays best of all, of course, is a spaceship going kablooey all over the screen.— Tad Friend So is this something homeowners should consider? A spate of municipal water pipes going kerblooey last spring might prompt some to think so.— David Lazarus
2 : to suffer complete failure, destruction, or ruin especially in a sudden or spectacular way One of several prize prospects of the mid-80s, he tried a comeback with the Rangers after his career went kablooey.— Kevin Sherrington … went public … just a few months before the technology-stock bubble went kablooey.— Scott Barancik et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game