Definition of just-so story
- When large claims about humans hang on just-so stories about the evolution of animal behavior, a selective reading of the ethnographic record or the casual lumping together of human and animal behavior, the wise should tread warily.
- —Philip Kitcher, New York Times Book Review, 20 May 1984
- Rather than offering firm answers, Wild Minds delves into the messy, difficult business of bringing animal thinking out of the realm of just-so stories and into that of solid empirical research.
- —Jennifer Schuessler, Lingua Franca, April 2000
- For Panek, this faint radiation arriving from all directions is the first experimental confirmation of big bang theory, and the moment at which cosmology made the transition from celestial just-so story to science.
- —Richard Lea, The Guardian (London), 19 Mar. 2011