jump out of one's skinidiom
Definition of jump out of one's skin
—used with almost, nearly, etc., to say that someone is suddenly surprised or frightened very much by something I didn't hear her come in, so I nearly jumped out of my skin when she spoke to me.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game