variants: or less commonly Java
Definition of java
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of Java (Entry 2 of 2)
island of Indonesia in the Greater Sunda Islands southeast of Sumatra and south of Borneo between the Java Sea and the Indian Ocean; chief city Jakarta area 51,007 square miles (132,618 square kilometers), population 107,581,306
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game