jack mormonnoun, sometimes capitalized J & usually capitalized M
Definition of jack mormon
1 : a non-Mormon living in a Mormon community and sympathetic to or on friendly terms with his neighbors
2 : a Mormon inactive in the church or not adhering strictly to Mormon tenets : a backsliding or nominal Mormon always paid his tithes—only he had to have his coffee so some called him a jack Mormon — American Guide Series: Arizona a jack Mormon, which means that … he no longer pays tithes or holds with the tenet of total abstinence— A. J. Liebling
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game