Definition of jack mackerel
: any of several medium to large food and sport fishes (genus Trachurus): such as
a : a fish of the northern Pacific Ocean (Trachurus symmetricus) that is iridescent green or bluish above and silvery below
b : a fish of the southern Pacific Ocean (Trachurus murphyi) that was formerly considered a subspecies (T. symmetricus murphyi) of the northern Pacific jack mackerel
c : a fish (Trachurus novaezelandiae) of Australian and New Zealand waters that has a yellow tail fin
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game