Definition of ivy tree
1 : a small often shrubby New Zealand evergreen tree (Nothopanax arboreum) of the family Araliaceae having glossy palmate leaves with 3 to 7 leaflets and large doubly compound umbels of small greenish brown flowers broadly : any of several other New Zealand trees or shrubs of the genus Nothopanax
2 dialectal : mountain laurel
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game