ivory-tower·ist | \ -rə̇st\
variants: or ivory-towerite \ -ˌrīt \
Definition of ivory-towerist
: one marked by ivory-towerism ignore the insipidities of the ivory-towerites and try to build a new literature— William Small
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game