Definition of isopentyl alcohol
: a primary pentyl alcohol (CH3)2CHCH2CH2OH that has a disagreeable odor and pungent taste and is obtained from fusel oil; 3-methyl-1-butanol
— called also isoamyl alcohol, isobutylcarbinol
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game