is·ness | \ ˈiznə̇s\
Definition of isness
1a : the fact that a thing is at the very outset there is no isness to life — Yale Review
b : the quality or state of elemental or factual existence
2 : the state of things as they are the economics of the soldier who accepts a rough equation between isness and oughtness— H. J. Laski —contrasted with oughtness
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game