iris·ation | \ ˌīrə̇ˈsāshən \
Definition of irisation
1 : the act or process of making iridescent the irisation of a culture plate by developing bacteria
2 : iridescence irisations in a cloud are evidence that it is composed of water droplets— D. W. Perrie in the area of the sun beautiful irisations may occur
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game