Definition of involuntary admission
: court-ordered institutionalization of a person suffering from mental illness usually upon a finding that the person is dangerous to himself or herself or to others : civil commitment
Note: The requirements for admitting a person involuntarily vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game