Definition of invertible counterpoint
: musical counterpoint in which each part can be placed above or below any of the others First his students wrote invertible counterpoint …, then turned to invertible canons, and finally applied their acquired contrapuntal skills to fugue writing.— Sabine Feisst, Schoenberg’s New World, 2011 — compare single counterpoint, double counterpoint, triple counterpoint, quadruple counterpoint
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game