Definition of intonation pattern
: a unit of speech melody in a language or dialect that contributes to the total meaning of an utterance one's intonation pattern in the utterance of dead may reveal one's emotional reaction to an announcement of death one intonation pattern makes leave a command, another makes it a question
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game