international temperature scalenoun
Definition of international temperature scale
: a practical temperature scale defining all temperatures above −183° C by specified formulas relating temperatures at one atmosphere pressure to the indications of instruments calibrated at six reproducible fixed points: the boiling point of oxygen (−182.97° C), the ice point (0° C), the steam point (100° C), the boiling point of sulfur (444.6° C), the freezing point of silver (960.8° C), the freezing point of gold (1063° C)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?