Definition of infield fly
: a fair fly ball other than a line drive or an attempted bunt that can be handled by an infielder and that is declared an automatic out if it occurs at a time when there are less than two outs and when runners are occupying first and second or first, second, and third bases
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?