Definition of infectious bronchitis
1 : a virus disease of chickens marked by inflammation of the bronchial tubes and abundant secretion of mucus interfering with respiration and causing gasping and choking that is often fatal in young birds and in adults seriously interferes with egg production — compare infectious laryngotracheitis
2 : any of various infective diseases of the bronchial tubes (as in horses or cows)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game