index ex·pur·ga·to·ri·us | \ -ikˌspərgəˈtōrēəs, -ek-, -ȯr-\
plural indices expurgatorii\ -rēˌī , -rēˌē \
Definition of index expurgatorius
1 sometimes capitalized I&E : a list of proscribed material (as books)
2 usually capitalized I&E : a list of books once separately published and now included in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum that gives titles of works forbidden by church authority to Roman Catholics pending revision or deletion of some sections
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game