in the strict/strictest sense (of the word)idiom
Definition of in the strict/strictest sense (of the word)
—used to refer to using the correct or precise meaning of a wordHe's not a volunteer in the strict/strictest sense (of the word) because he receives a small stipend.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game