in defense of (something or someone)idiom
variants: or, in something's or someone's defense
Definition of in defense of (something or someone)
1 : in order to keep (something) safe that is being physically attacked They fought in defense of their country.
2 : in support of (someone or something) that is being verbally attacked or criticized She spoke out in defense of justice. Let me say, in her defense, that I would have done the same thing that she did. He spoke up in his own defense.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game