in all/everything but nameidiom
Definition of in all/everything but name
: not in an official way but in every other way Military governors ruled the country in all but name for many years. Their marriage was over in all but name five years ago.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game