Definition of in a state of shock
1 : experiencing a sudden usually unpleasant or upsetting feeling because of something unexpected They were in a state of shock after hearing the news.
2 medical : suffering from a serious condition in which the body is not able to get enough blood to all the parts of the body He was in a state of shock after the accident.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game