improve on/uponphrasal verb
improved on/upon; improving on/upon; improves on/upon
Definition of improve on/upon
: to do better than (something previously done) After months of study, I improved on my original score. It'll be hard to improve upon the success they had last year.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game