impinge on/uponphrasal verb
impinged on/upon; impinging on/upon; impinges on/upon
Definition of impinge on/upon
: to affect (something) in a way that is unwanted : to have a bad effect on (something) Her work is impinging on her social life. The government wants to avoid impinging upon the affairs of private citizens.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game