Definition of imidic acid
: any of various acids characterized by the presence of the imido group especially : one of a class of organic acids containing a carboxyl group in which the carbonyl oxygen atom is replaced by an imido group and having the general formula RC(=NH)OH but known only in the form of derivatives (as esters or acid chlorides)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game