Definition of imager
: one that produces an image: such as
a : any of various machines (such as a CT scanner or X-ray machine) used to produce diagnostic images of a living body … we believe that our state-of-the-art NMR imager is more sensitive than our state-of-the-art CT scanner in the evaluation of these diseases. Thus, to exclude suspected disease, NMR is the preferred modality.— William G. Bradley, Jr.
b : an instrument that combines the functions of detection and image production to generate graphic output of extremely high quality for scientific or technical study The payload includes a descent imager to characterize the landing site's geological context, a stereo imager for high-resolution mapping of the surroundings, a gas analyzer, and an environmental survey package.— Robert Burnham The imager can measure two- and three-dimensional beam-intensity distributions, and it can transfer data to a computer via a video frame grabber. — Physics Today
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game