if the shoe fitsidiom
variants: or if the shoe fits, wear it
Definition of if the shoe fits
—used to say that something said or suggested about a person is true and that the person should accept it as true "Are you calling me a cheater?" "Well, if the shoe fits, wear it."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?