identify withphrasal verb
identified with; identifying with; identifies with
Definition of identify with
1 : to think of (something) as being the same as (something else) It is a mistake to identify being healthy with being thin.
2 : to think of (someone) as being very closely associated with (something) She has always been identified with the civil rights movement. These groups are identified with conservation.
3 : to think of oneself as having the same problems and feelings as someone Many readers identify with the characters in her novels.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game