ice over/upphrasal verb
iced over/up; icing over/up; ices over/up
Definition of ice over/up
: to become covered with ice The freezing rain caused the roads to ice over. As the weather grew colder, the pond iced over. The wings of the plane iced up during the storm.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game