Definition of ice island
: a mass of floating ice resembling an island specifically : one discharged from arctic shelf ice that may extend several hundred square miles in area and several hundred feet in depth and floats with a subsurface current around the north pole — compare barrier berg
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game