variants: or less commonly hypopygidium \ "+pəˈjidēəm \
plural hypopygia also hypopygidia\ -ēə \
Definition of hypopygium
: a modified 9th abdominal segment of many insects with which the copulatory apparatus is associated especially : such a modified segment together with the copulatory apparatus of a dipterous insect
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game