Definition of hypoiodous acid
: a very unstable very weak acid HIO that resembles hypochlorous acid and is obtained in solution by treating mercury oxide (see mercury oxide sense b) with iodine in water or in the form of unstable salts in solution by reaction of iodine with alkali
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game