Definition of hyperconjugation
: resonance in an organic chemical structure that involves as part of the resonance hybrid the separation of a proton from a methyl or other alkyl group situated next to an electron-deficient unit (as a double bond or carbonium ion), the electrons released by the proton tending to move toward the electron-deficient function with resultant stabilization of the entire structure (as in a trisubstituted propylene H−CH2CR=CR2↔H+CH2=CR−CR2−)
— called also no-bond resonance
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game