hy·la | \ ˈhīlə\
Definition of hyla
1 capitalized : a large genus (the type of the family Hylidae) of arciferous amphibians comprising the typical toads that have swollen terminal phalanges resembling claws and forming adhesive pads adapted to an arboreal habitat
2 plural -s : any amphibian of the genus Hyla broadly : tree toad
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game