Definition of hydrogen electrode
: an electrode composed typically of platinum black on platinum over which a stream of hydrogen is bubbled and that under specified conditions serves as the standard electrode with an assigned potential of zero to which all other electrode potentials are referred for purposes of comparison
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game