hush up (someone or something)idiom
Definition of hush up (someone or something)
: to prevent people from knowing the truth about (something, such as a crime) hush up a crime/scandal The city government tried to hush things up when the mayor was arrested.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?