hunker downphrasal verb
hunkered down; hunkering down; hunkers down
Definition of hunker down
1 : to lower the body to the ground by bending the legs The hikers hunkered down under a cliff until the storm passed.
2 : to stay in a place for a period of time The leaders hunkered down at a country estate for difficult peace negotiations.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game