humane societynoun, often capitalized H&S
Definition of humane society
1 chiefly British : a lifesaving society
2 : a society concerned with the promotion of humane conduct or ideals or having charitable or philanthropic ends the Humane Society is a child-caring agency— A. E. Fink specifically : a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game