variants: or hoveller \ -v(ə)lə(r \ or less commonly huffler \ ˈhəflə(r \
Definition of hoveler
1 : a usually unlicensed coast boatman who does odd jobs in assisting ships or goes out to wrecks to land passengers or secure salvage
2 : a boat that is used by a hoveler
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?