hor·o·lo·gium | \ ˌhȯrəˈlōj(ē)əm\
plural horologia\ -)ə \
Definition of horologium
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of Horologium (Entry 2 of 2)
: a southern constellation that is visible between the constellations of Eridanus and Dorado and that is represented by the figure of a pendulum clock Last October, over two remarkable days, scientists saw four gamma ray bursts coming from the same place, a spot beyond the Southern Hemisphere constellation Horologium—The Clock.— Peter Kendall, Chicago Tribune, 18 Dec. 1996
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game