Definition of hoop snake
1 chiefly South and Midland : a fabled snake of extremely venomous character that rolls itself up with its tail in its mouth to proceed at great speed in the manner of a hoop and destroys both animal and plant life with a sting in the end of its tail
2 : either of two harmless brightly colored burrowing colubrid snakes chiefly of the southeastern U.S.:
a : a large snake (Farancia abacura) that is blue black above and largely red below and has a sharp nonvenomous spine at the end of its tail
— called also horn snake
b : rainbow snake
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?