variants: or hoolock
plural hoolock gibbons also hoolocks
Definition of hoolock gibbon
: a forest-dwelling gibbon (Hoolock hoolock) of Eastern Bangladesh, northeastern India, and western Myanmar also : a closely related gibbon (Hoolock leuconedys) of southern China and northeastern Myanmar
Note: Taxonomic classification remains unsettled with the hoolock gibbons often considered to be subspecies of a single species (Hoolock hoolock or Bunopithecus hoolock).
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game