Definition of hook gage
: an instrument for measuring the rise or drop in elevation of a liquid (as water in a reservoir) from a previously recorded level by means of a pointed hook that is directly connected to a fixed part containing a scale (as a vernier) and is submerged and moved gradually until its point just pierces the surface of the liquid from beneath when the measurement is taken
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game