Definition of hook gage
: an instrument for measuring the rise or drop in elevation of a liquid (as water in a resevoir) from a previously recorded level by means of a pointed hook that is directly connected to a fixed part containing a scale (as a vernier) and is submerged and moved gradually until its point just pierces the surface of the liquid from beneath when the measurement is taken
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary in April 2019
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 4/19/19
- Aww it's So 'Adorkable'
- 'MacGyver': The Verb
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game