hone in onphrasal verb
honed in on; honing in on; hones in on
Definition of hone in on
: to find and go directly toward (someone or something) The missile was honing in on its target. —usually used figuratively Researchers are honing in on the cause of the disease.
Note: Although hone in on is widely used, many people regard it as an error for home in on.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game