Definition of hollow back
: a book back in which the backs of the sections are affixed to the backbone of the cover only at the joints, the separation sometimes being made by a flattened tubular lining of paper or cloth also : a book so bound or a style of binding featuring this construction
— called also open back, spring back— compare tight backbone
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game