hold/hang on a minuteidiom
Definition of hold/hang on a minute
1 —used to tell someone to wait or to stop for a brief time "Aren't you finished yet?" "Hold on a minute. I'm almost done."Hang on a minute—I didn't hear you. Could you repeat what you said?
2 —used to express surprise or disbelief Hold on a minute! That's not what you said yesterday!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game