hold down the fortidiom
Definition of hold down the fort
: to be in charge of a place while the person who is usually in charge is away You can stay here and hold down the fort while I go to the store.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game